National Association of Federal Retirees
OTTAWA VALLEY BRANCH
Board of Directors Meeting
The Factory, Perth, Ont.
23 Feb. 2017
- CALL TO ORDER
President Steve called the mtg. to order at 1:20.
- RECORDING OF MEMBERS PRESENT
Fahie; E. Rockburne; E. Chenard; B. Irwin; J. Buehler; L. Smith; R, O’Halloran; ; J. Piche
Regrets : L. Palmer
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
After adding ‘Branch Reserves’ to Agenda, motion for approval by Ed Rockburne; seconded by Judy. Passed.
- MINUTES OF MEETING (7 Nov. 2016)
Motion to accept Minutes by Ed Chenard; seconded by Jim. Passed.
- BUSINESS ARISING FROM MINUTES
- 2017 AGM: Almonte Civitan Club is confirmed for 19 April. Luncheon details and speaker to be confirmed. $200.00 is required to book the venue.
- Branch Surplus Reparation Cost: Ed C. explained National approved formula for expenditure of $646.67 and confirmed payment is to be sent.
- REPORT OF OFFICERS
Health Benefits Officer: Ed Rockburne advised of move out of area shortly, so this position will need to be filled. A recent request for info was forwarded to National for handling.
Treasurer: Steve confirmed that ‘dues reminder’ mailing (totally ~7.4K) was sent recently.
- BREAK (none)
- new contribution rates for PSHCP recently sent out by Ntl. (43.75% increase)
- Steve summarized recent Bulletins to Branches (Nov.; Dec.; Jan.): secure and regular backups of Br. business being established was stressed; fixed assets should be tracked and recorded; eblasts update given; Toolkit for volunteer recruitment being offered by Ntl.; AMM will be 14-16 June, in Ottawa (max of 3 observers/Br.); Bill C-27 (allowing Crown Corporations to change to target-benefits) mentioned; tangerine mailing & reduction in current interest rate was tabled;
Steve will contact Ntl. again to request that hard copies of Bulletins be sent to our Branch regularly. # Exec. also reported not even receiving email copies in months.
- OLD BUSINESS (none)
- NEW BUSINESS
- Branch Reserves: has recommended that Br. surplus reserves be reduced. Motion to replenish Defence of Benefits Funds by $3000.00 was motioned by Jim; seconded by Bill and passed – to be ratified at 2017 AGM. Decision of actual Fund to be replenished to be determined. (Steve to locate list for Br. fund possibilities & send to Exec. for final decision.)
Door prizes: Moved by Ed Chenard; seconded by Jim that $400.00 worth of gift cards be purchased for AGM. Passed. Bill has agreed to purchase same.
Static displays: Lynda was asked to followup with most of previous year’s attendees. Judy to contact Classic Theatre.
- Branch Recruitment: Ideas tabled to encourage volunteers: include mention of: meeting schedule; luncheons and travel cost coverage.
- Fall Social Function: need to discuss further – if a volunteer Event Coordinator were to become available …
Meeting adjourned at 3:00.
Future Meetings: 6 March 2017
3 April 2017
19 April 2017-OVB AGM
1 May 2017
5 June 2017